Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week 2: Twitter


Things 4, 5, 6 are about Twitter.

Twitterverse is a place I am all too familiar with. I think I might be slightly obsessed with it. I use it more than any other social media site. :) In some cases I have replaced texting a friend with tweeting them. 

I already have 2 accounts ; a professional one and a personal one.

My professional account is @NationsNB which is where I tweet Aboriginal related items.  Every week, I recommend 1 English book and 1 French book which I call Pick of the Week ( #PotW)  / sélection de la Semaine (#SdlS). I usually tweet the recs on thursdays or fridays.  Lists of the books I have previously selected are available through my bibliocommons account.
In Twitter, users are able to create lists of other users. I have created a couple lists that might be of interest to you all.
  • Libraries/ Bibliothèques : A list of NBPLS libraries that have twitter accounts. If your library is missing from here please leave a comment on my blog with the username or tweet me.
  • Authors/Auteurs: Aboriginal authors who have accounts.
Since I am already familiar with how Twitter works, I decided to challenge myself and figure out how to add a twitter feed to this blog. I tried to figure it out on my own but after 15 minutes of failing, I googled it. :)

Here are the steps for adding twitter feed to your blog:
 
         1) Go here and configure/setup your widget
              https://twitter.com/settings/widgets/new
 
         2) Once done copy the Code they supply
 
         3) Now go to your blog and go to 'Layout'
 
         4) Click on 'Add Gadget'
 
         5) Scroll down and select the 'HTML/Javascript Widget'
 
         6) Paste the code that you copied from Step 2) into the widget
 
         7) Press Save
 
        edit: Sharing this link for step by steps with visuals  http://tsbray.blogspot.ca/2013/03/twitter-feed-on-blogger.html I found it on LemonLibrarian's blog. Thanks!
 
The end results is in the right side column. When you are at Step1, you can change the background and hyperlink colours. I had fun matching it to this blog.
I always wondered how websites like CBC added in twitter feeds and now I know. Very neat.



Until next week!
 

1 comment: